Sunday, May 6, 2012

The One About Gluten

I'm going to try not to write some long introduction about the three plus years that lead me to where I am now. It's lame for anyone but me, no, including me. I will just say I did an elimination diet in a last ditch effort to help with my "fibromyalgia" and discovered my body does not like gluten. Here are a few symptoms I experienced and would recommend trying gluten-free for (it could change your entire life):

First of all.) All over body pain. This consumed my life and took the longest to subside, more than a week went by before I was totally gone. But accidental gluten consumption brought back the stabbing leg pain and the dull neck, wrist, and shoulder pain within the hour.
2st.) Migraines. Mine are not completely gone, but a certain variety are scratched off my list.
3.) Digestive issues related to meal times. Like my pains, it doesn't take long for my body to let me know it doesn't like what I just ate. It does make for an excellent glutenometer though.
4.) Mood swings. I originally started my adventure because I couldn't stop crying. Like, for real. That lady walking her dog? Sent me to tears. Getting stuck at every traffic light down Lindbergh Blvd? Hysterics. That Chevy's commercial? Well, you get it. I'm definitely an emotional person, but I know my body and something wasn't right.
2nd to last.) Energy. I couldn't find it. There was not a class I took or a car I drove where I was not fighting a losing battle against sleep. My body gave me no choice in the matter. If I was sitting for more than 37 seconds, I went into deep sleep mode.
Last.) Congestion. I save this for last because I have a friend who went gluten free and pointed out that her everyday congestion all but went away after she changed her diet. I didn't notice this as an issue until after I would accidentally ingest gluten and got all stuffy.

So after every blood test, three or four antidepressants, firing my longtime general practitioner, and a inability to accept an eventual diagnosis of fibromyalgia, I tried an elimination diet. I cut out gluten, dairy, alcohol, added sugar, salty meats, and seasonings in general. With the intention of bringing them back in one at a time. After a week, I splurged and ate a Thai Chicken Salad from St. Louis Bread Company, which contains gluteny won ton strips. The rest is history.
I don't know if I have Celiac Disease or just a sensitivity, but my current treatment is the same. Learn about food and stay away from wheat, barley, and rye. My quality of life has gone through the roof, and i can actually function like a normal person again. Disability isn't looming on my horizon anymore. I won't be this long winded in the future, I just wanted my framework laid out somewhere. I just really want to put down all my findings as a personal guide and maybe entertain my friends along the way.

1 comment:

  1. First of all - Thanks for "including" me on your blog. Firstdairy - I think this is one of the best ideas you have ever had and I don't think it was long-winded. Good luck on your tests this week!

    ReplyDelete